"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who pointsout how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 17, 2012

A Week in Review



This week I successfully used a squat toilet. Previously I had only used a western-style john but without toilet paper so I would be prepared for the time there was none and I didn’t have to wipe my ass with 10 rupee notes. I’ve also started eating with my hand. It’s an enjoyable way to eat, to squish the rice between your fingers and try to make sticky little balls so more food gets to the mouth. I pick up little tips by watching the more experienced eaters.

Last week and this week there are no classes and no school. I can’t really get a straight answer out of anybody - I’ve been told that there are 50 students per day this time of year and there are morning prayers. Well, the most students I have seen is 10, there are no morning prayers and school ends when I say because I am the only teacher. (Sometimes more students come on field trips, like today when we crammed into a bus to the stadium to watch the Indian-ASEAN car rally stop in Guwahati. It was not a car rally like we think…the cars were quite boxy and utilitarian. Representatives from India and 9 other SE Asian countries (the Association of South East Asian Nations) have driven 4,000 km in 3 weeks to trumpet the economic and political ties being made between the countries. There were some pretty cool motorcycle stunts and traditional Assamese tribal dancers danced to We Will Rock You.) This is all fine though because it means I have actual structured class time to teach the students computer skills in fun ways. We do a little geography most days and I’ve taught them to sing Jingle Bells and Rudolf for the Christmas Eve show.

Motorcycle stunts at the Indian-ASEAN car rally
  My and Nabakanta's handy work. 

One of the best things I brought to India was my little wooden box with cards and dice games. The hostel kids are fascinated when I shuffle and bridge the cards and burst out laughing when they saw it for the first time. I tried to teach them with the old sticky cards I brought but they had more success when they used the new plastic ones I bought at the Pan Bazaar. I taught Sankar and Nabakanta 13s and we’ve had many relaxing afternoons and evenings playing. On Saturday night all of the hostel students had gone home except Nabakanta so I asked if he wanted to play cards and he quickly abandoned his typing practice. We spent a great evening watching the first inning of Ken Burn’s Baseball and idly playing cards. I tried to explain certain concepts but he couldn’t have enjoyed it as much as I did. It took me to a far away time and place and I only realized that I was still in India when I got up to pee. Sunday is apparently the roosters’ Sabbath so I got to sleep until 8. Most of the day I listening to blues, did my laundry, sanitized water bottles for the week, wrote a bunch of emails and worked on intercontinental Christmas presents…first truly relaxing day I’ve had here.

Sankar

I also taught the hostel kids the game we all call “Egyptian Rat Screw.” I couldn’t explain what the name meant because I don’t understand myself so we call it the slap game and it caught on quick. One of my favorite nights thus far started when I poked my head into the girls’ dorm with my laptop and my box of games. The boys were there too and Nabakanta translated the rules of the game. Some of the students were interested in the typing program I have on my computer but most sat in a crowded circle, all knees and elbows, trying to slap their way back into the game. They didn’t get bored and they screamed and yelled when their hand got buried in the pig pile. We played for more than two hours and it was great to finally have a medium to interact with the girls.

Of course, much of the last few days has been spent fundraising, but you know about that. Thanks again for the support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment