"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who pointsout how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Making Funny with Unknown Stranger


I haven’t been very into writing since I got back from Darjeeling…interesting stuff is happening but nothing burning to get on the page.

There have been a bunch of changes around here lately. Prashant left – he showed up while I was in Darjeeling - born and raised in West Mumbai but has lived in the US for the past 16 years, mostly working for Cisco. He was an interesting guy and he tried to give Uttam some direction. Stuart, the first American I met in India, left today to go back to Reed after almost four weeks at Parijat. I actually miss him a little. Three American women showed up a week ago to stay for one month – Chantal, a newly-married, former community college sociology prof from Boston, her eighty year old mother Lily from North Carolina but born in Suriname and raised in Indonesia, and my favorite, Tat, Lily’s spunky, seventy-eight year old retired kindergarten teacher friend. I’m not thrilled to be around so many Americans but I gotta make the most of it - they are interesting people and cab fare is cheaper.

Students came back to school last week but the only classes were my computer classes and because of Bihu, there are no classes this week on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Uttam was out for a few days with gall stones for which he needs surgery tomorrow (as he says, gall bladder surgery or appendix also – whatever the “or” means) so on one day the headmaster and I were the school’s only supervision when a tiny new student desperately missed Mommy and threw his shoes at us. Every day last week there was Bihu dance practice for the girls capped off with a beautiful performance on Saturday in front of parents and 20 students from the University of Delaware, here as part of a month-long winter session in India. It’s pretty weird to be here and listen to people that say douche bag and talk about their sororities. Festivities for the Bihu harvest festival started this weekend with wild dancing and drumming, burning haystacks, may-gi, rice flower coconut roll-ups, pit-ha, fried pitha dough and assorted sweets. For the first time in India I’m a little bored without students for four days.

Yesterday in the Bihu spirit Uttam, Aimoni, our awesome weaver Ray-boti, Chantal, Lily, Tat and I piled into a sumo and made trips to see Aimoni’s family, both of Uttam’s sisters and Aimoni’s Aunt. At each house we had sweet tea, hot water, pitha, and coconut sweets. We would chit chat, play with the baby, and leave. It was Stuart’s last night and we were going to play Bananagrams and the only proper way to play Bananagrams is with beer so we stopped on the way home and after Stuart, Uttam and I all peed on wall together we walked to the wine shop.

We had asked for five bottles of beer, 350 rupees in total. As we waited for each bottle to be wrapped, we were standing Uttam   Shaffer               some guy, all facing the gated liquor window I had a 500 
                                                           Stuart
rupee note in my hand and I saw that Stuart’s hand was resting on the counter with a 100 rupee note between two fingers, presumably to pay for his beer. I had the larger note and he needed to pay me anyway so in one motion I took the money and pocketed it. Well, when I looked up the Indian guy was looking at me intently with his hand resting on the counter, two fingers still together and Stuart was not where I thought he was. As calm as can be I had stolen money from a complete Indian stranger, at a liquor store no less. His hand was dark-skinned, Stuart was standing RIGHT next to me – I have no explanation for my actions. In response the only thing I could do was to say “OOOOOOOOoooooooohhh” and return his money. I apologized in English, Stuart in Hindi and we quickly left. I have not been so embarrassed since Slippy stuck. The whole time the man didn’t say a word and didn’t move his hand from the counter. Uttam described his own thought process during this incident on the hysterical ride home like this: “At first I am thinking this man was known to Shaffer and that he was making a funny, suppose by making change from the 100 with 500 rupee note. But then I saw that this man was an unknown stranger.”

Grace, your package came. Rats chewed two holes in the box and got into both bags of Tim’s sea salt and vinegar chips and the beef jerky stuff. I was devastated to be so close to my mana and have to feed it to the cows. To the credit of the Indian postal service, they tied the two bags shut with twine and put them back in the box, which was also tied together. The Big Ideas magazine has some damage but should be readable; the book was undamaged and looks great! Thanks a lot Grace. It is very much the thought that counts J

No comments:

Post a Comment